West Sacramento Man Convicted of Felony Domestic Violence Charges

Press Release

(Woodland, CA) - February 23, 2016 - District Attorney Jeff Reisig announced today that on February 19, 2016, a Yolo County Jury convicted 32-year-old West Sacramento resident Steven Hendrix of two counts of felony domestic violence.

The jury heard evidence of two separate incidents of domestic violence that occurred in April and June of 2015.  During the April incident, Hendrix placed his hands around his girlfriend’s neck and squeezed while lifting her off the floor.  An argument between the two continued into the living room where Hendrix again placed his hands around his girlfriend’s neck, strangling her on the couch.  During the June incident, Hendrix used one hand to strangle his girlfriend as she was lying in their bed.  She told a police officer that she did not lose consciousness but that she was unable to breathe for a period of two seconds.  Hendrix later strangled her in the kitchen, this time with her sister looking on.  Though the victim’s testimony at trial was inconsistent with what she told police officers, the jury accepted her earlier statements regarding what had transpired on the two dates.  The West Sacramento Police Department was diligent in documenting witness statements and photographing injuries for the two incidents, providing the necessary evidence for the jury’s consideration.

In a court trial on February 19, 2016, the Honorable Samuel McAdam found true the allegation that Hendrix suffered a prior conviction for a domestic violence incident in Sacramento County in 2011.  The court also found true allegations that the defendant had a prior serious felony (strike) for a first degree burglary, and had previously served a prison term and had recidivated within 5 years.  These priors all serve to enhance the potential sentence for the current domestic violence charges.  Judge McAdam is scheduled to sentence Hendrix on April 7, 2016.  Hendrix is facing 13 years 8 months in state prison.

###