Killer of West Sacramento Postal Worker Again Denied Parole

Press Release

(Woodland, CA) – May 8, 2015 - Yolo County District Attorney Jeff Reisig announced today that the Board of Parole Hearings denied parole to 58-year-old convicted murderer Clifford Myelle at California State Prison, Solano in Vacaville.

On July 4, 1989, Myelle brutally murdered 40-year-old postal worker Richard Islas of West Sacramento. Islas had been allowing Myelle to live in his apartment. Police and coroner’s reports state that on July 4, Myelle surprised Islas and hit him in the head with a claw hammer. Myelle proceeded for the next three hours to beat a stunned and defenseless Islas. He struck him 33 times with the claw hammer. Blood covered the walls and floors of the house which was evidence that the brutal beating occurred throughout the house as Islas attempted to escape his attacker. Myelle stole Islas’ car and his wallet and other items belonging to Islas. When Islas did not report to the Post Office for work, his supervisor contacted Islas’ parents. On July 6, his parents entered Islas’ house through a window and discovered their son, bloodied and dead. Myelle was arrested in Shasta County and denied involvement in the murder.

The parole hearing lasted over three hours. Chief District Attorney Jonathan Raven presented the case on behalf of the Yolo County District Attorney. Richard Islas’ younger sister, Cynthia Islas-Duarte, spoke on behalf of Richard Islas and the family. This was Myelle’s fifth parole hearing but the first hearing where he actually admitted to killing Islas.

Islas-Duarte made an impassioned statement asking the commissioners to deny parole. She spoke about her brother and said he was “loved and respected by everyone.” She continued, “I have my brother’s wallet with me today and it has a fingerprint on it and guess whose it is. Not my brother. He taught me to throw a ball like an all-star, and I was.” Islas-Duarte concluded, “I’m here today because I will forever be the voice of my brother and my family and I respectfully request that you deny parole for the longest period possible.”

After statements from all parties, Commissioners Jack Peck and Steve Mahoney began deliberations. They returned after 20 minutes with a decision and Commissioner Peck stated that the inmate was not suitable for parole because he would present an unreasonable risk if released from prison. “Frankly sir, we were hoping to learn the truth and we were hoping to have some understanding of why and how this crime happened,” Peck said. He continued, “I have no better understanding of why this crime happened than I did when we started.” The Commissioners denied parole for a period of five years.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Jonathan Raven was pleased with the decision. “This crime so deeply effected many generations of the Islas family including Richard’s parents, sister, children, and grandchildren he never met. I’m pleased this office was able to assist in this just result.” Raven continued, “Although the family thinks of Richard every day, I know they are pleased that they will not have to come back to this prison for another five years.”

Myelle will be eligible for parole in May, 2021.

Murder Victim's Sister Cynthia Islas reviewing evidence from original jury trial.

Murder Victim's Sister Cynthia Islas reviewing evidence from original jury trial.

###